Apple analyst Guo Minghao today brought the latest research forecast report on Apple's 5G strategy and 2020 iPhone product line.
First of all, Mr. Guo believes that Apple will actively promote the 5G iPhone strategy, while not forgetting to accelerate the development of its own 5G baseband chips.
Apple's iPhone 5G development strategy is:
- Apple's 5G iPhone strategy is more active after the US export ban on Huawei. It is predicted that the 5G iPhone will account for approximately 60% of the total shipments of the 2020 iPhone;
- Apple previously chose to reconcile with Qualcomm, indicating that Intel's development of 5G baseband chips has failed, and the new 2020 iPhone will support 5G;
- Because the US is Apple's home market, and the US mainstream 5G technology is mmWave (millimeter wave), it is unlikely that Apple will launch a 5G iPhone that only supports Sub-6GHz;
- Apple will introduce its own 5G baseband chip in 2022 or 2023. Prior to this, Apple will use Qualcomm's 5G baseband chip, but does not use RF360 and adopt its own PA/RF design. We believe that Apple is preparing for the future use of its own 5G baseband chip.
- We believe that Apple and Qualcomm's previous settlements, including Qualcomm, will release some of the original 5G baseband chip code to Apple for Apple to develop its own 5G PA/RF;
Subsequently, Mr. Guo also predicted the specifications of the 2020 iPhone product line:
The 2020 iPhone line will include three models, two of which are 6.7-inch and 5.4-inch OLED screen iPhones (current iPhone XS series screen sizes are 6.4 inches and 5.8 inches, respectively). The low-end model is the 6.1-inch OLED screen iPhone. But only high-end models will support 5G networks.
For this year's 2019 iPhone product line, Mr. Guo believes that Apple will still launch three models, the screen size will be consistent with the 2018 models, namely 6.5, 5.8-inch OLED screen models and 6.1-inch LCD screen models. This year's iPhone will continue to use Intel's baseband, and the 2020 product line will all turn to Qualcomm.