After careful scrutiny by four senior invading professional prosecutors in Hennepin County, after investigating surveillance videos, text messages, police body camera videos and witness statements, the standard of proof could not be met and no charges could be filed.
At 11:35 pm on December 21st, US time, Caijing obtained exclusive information from the Hennepin Procuratorate, and Hennesse County prosecutor Mike · Mike Freeman announced that he would not be involved in suspected sexual assault cases. Chinese businessman Liu Qiangdong filed a lawsuit.
The prosecution told Caijing that after a thorough investigation by the sex crime department of the Minneapolis Police Department and a detailed review by four senior sexual assault prosecutors, it was determined that there was a serious problem of evidence, which made any criminal charges unable to prove beyond reasonable doubt.
“Like many sexual assault cases, this is a complicated situation,” Freeman said. “It is also similar to other sexual assault cases. It is not falsifying sex.” When we reviewed surveillance videos, text messages, police camera videos and witness statements, it was clear that we were unable to meet our certification requirements, so we were unable to file charges. Because we don't want young women to suffer again, we won't elaborate. ”
The following are the issues that the prosecution issued to Caijing:
As previously reported in the press, 45-year-old Liu Qiangdong went to the Carlson School of Management at the University of Minnesota to participate in the project. On August 30, he went to the Uptown restaurant to eat with friends and colleagues. A 21-year-old female student was one of the people invited to the dinner.
After dinner, the girl and Liu Qiangdong and other people took a bus to a house on Franklin Avenue, and eventually arrived at an apartment near her university later that night. A few hours later, in the early morning of August 31, the girl’s classmate called the police. The police arrived at the woman's apartment and talked with Liu Qiangdong and the woman.
According to the news they got from the woman that night, the police officer ended the police and brought Liu Qiangdong back to his hotel. Later that day, Liu was arrested at the University of Minnesota.
During the examination of the evidence by a team of three men and a woman, some evidence was found, including conversations and information translated into English in Mandarin. The evidence also includes videos from body cameras worn by police law enforcement, which capture the conversation between Liu Qiangdong and the women in the apartment; also includes some of the later conversations —— before Liu Qiangdong returns to the hotel, the woman asks Dialogue with Liu privately.
The prosecution believes that all the evidence of the conversation, the statements of girls and others, and the footage from multiple surveillance cameras are not sufficient to support criminal charges.
The prosecution specifically pointed out that it is not uncommon for the Hennepin County Procuratorate to spend three months reviewing the case and making a decision, especially if no one is detained, which has nothing to do with Liu Qiangdong as a wealthy foreign businessman. Earlier, Hennepin County spokesperson Chuck · Chuck Laszewski told Caijing that in the past five years, an average of 45% of local sexual assault cases will eventually be prosecuted.
Ms. Jill Brisbois, Ms. Liu Qiangdong, said in the statement: “Although the Office of the Prosecutor believes that Mr. Liu Qiangdong should not be charged, but like anyone who has been accused of crime, Mr. Liu Qiangdong’s reputation has been seriously damaged. Some people have been spreading a lot of false and misleading information during the investigation. I hope that today's conclusions and evidence released by police investigators in the future can clarify the misinformation and speculation that has been circulating in the past. ”
Stimulated by this news, Jingdong's share price quickly rose from the opening price of 19.52 US dollars to the highest point of 21.22 US dollars, the highest price increase of 8.7%. But before the event, the Jingdong market value has fallen by 32%.
The Hennepin County Prosecutor’s Office and the prosecutor Freeman said they would not comment further.
U.S. prosecution announced details of Liu Qiangdong’s incident: there is a problem with the evidence, and the allegations are difficult to verify.
On December 22, the Prosecutor's Office of the Hennessine County of Minneapolis announced the investigation results of the Liu Qiangdong incident and decided not to prosecute. At the same time, the prosecution also announced some details of the incident.
The prosecution said that after careful review, there were some problems with the evidence, which made it difficult to verify any accusations.
Hennepin County prosecutor Freeman said that after the prosecution reviewed and monitored the evidence such as video and text messages, the prosecution could not perform the burden of proof and therefore could not file a complaint.
The Hennepin County Prosecutor's Office and Hennepin County County Prosecutor Freeman will not comment further on the matter.
The following is the full text of the JD statement:
Today, the Office of the Prosecutor of Hennepin County, Minneapolis announced that it will not file any charges against Mr. Liu Qiangdong, CEO of Jingdong Group. We welcome this decision and Jingdong Group will continue to provide the best service to customers and partners around the world, creating long-term value for investors.
Liu Qiangdong attorney Jill Brisbois issued a public statement on the facts of the case
The following is the full text of the statement by Liu Qiangdong attorney:
We welcome the decision of the Hungarian County Prosecutor’s Office not to file an allegation against Mr. Liu Qiangdong. This confirms that we have been convinced from the beginning of —— Mr. Liu Qiangdong is innocent. Mr. Liu Qiangdong was arrested for false accusations. After he fully cooperated with the investigation, the conclusions of the judicial department proved that he was innocent. Mr. Liu Qiangdong thanked the judiciary for its impartial decision and the amount of work done for it.
Although the Office of the Prosecutor believes that Mr. Liu Qiangdong should not be charged, but like any person who has been accused of crime, Mr. Liu Qiangdong’s reputation has been seriously damaged. Some people have been spreading a lot of false and misleading information during the investigation. Based on the respect for the legal process and the final decision of the prosecution, we have not commented on it. I hope that today’s conclusions and future evidence released by police investigators can be clarified. A lot of error messages and guesses have been circulating before.
Lawyer Liu Qiangdong restores the truth: Liu Qiangdong will not agree to the request of the other party for money settlement
After a thorough, three-and-a-half-month investigation, the Hennepin County Prosecutor’s Office announced that it would not file any charges against my client, Mr. Liu Qiangdong.
· Mr. Liu Qiangdong did not know the woman before the dinner at the Origami restaurant. Mr. Liu Qiangdong and his assistant did not invite the woman to attend the dinner, nor invited her to sit next to Mr. Liu Qiangdong.
· Mr. Liu Qiangdong's assistant to buy wine for two parties: at Origami's dinner, there are about 24 people; and another dinner to be held the next night. In Origami's dinner, I drank only a half of the wine, about 14 bottles. After the dinner, the unspent wine was loaded back into the car.
· Mr. Liu Qiangdong and the woman drank alcohol during the dinner. During the period, the woman had taken the initiative to toast Mr. Liu Qiangdong, and also took the initiative to pour the wine into his own cup. Mr. Liu Qiangdong was not drunk, and the woman did not show any signs of behavior indicating that she was drunk.
· After dinner, everyone decided to go to a house rented by a dinner party to continue the party.
· The woman volunteered that she wanted to attend the party, so she left the Origami restaurant with Mr. Liu Qiangdong. The woman, Mr. Liu Qiangdong and his two assistants took a SUV rented by Mr. Liu Qiangdong to the house that week.
· In the car, Mr. Liu Qiangdong’s assistant witnessed the woman’s initiative to be intimate with Mr. Liu Qiangdong without any refusal or reluctance.
· The car parked in front of the rented house where everyone was gathering. The two got out of the car, but the woman offered to go to the woman's apartment instead of attending the party. Mr. Liu Qiangdong and the woman returned to the car, and then the woman took the initiative to enter the address of the apartment into the driver's mobile phone to help him find the place where she lived.
· After arriving at the apartment building, the woman invited Mr. Liu Qiangdong to enter the building. She opened the door of the building with her own access card and signaled Mr. Liu Qiangdong to enter. The woman took the initiative to take Mr. Liu Qiangdong’s arm and walked into the building.
· Another resident in the apartment saw the woman and Mr. Liu Qiangdong in the hallway. He noticed that Mr. Liu Qiangdong and the woman's arm were very close together, and both looked very happy. Both of them did not seem to be drunk, and the woman smiled as she passed by.
· Everything that happens in the room is voluntary. The lady was very active throughout the process and did not have any reluctant expression. The police came to knock on the door a few hours after they fell asleep. The police took Mr. Liu Qiangdong and the woman outside, and then conducted a 30-minute interview with the woman in a separate place. After the interview, the woman found Mr. Liu Qiangdong and apologized to him, saying that this was a misunderstanding. Subsequently, the police sent Mr. Liu Qiangdong back to the hotel because they judged that no criminal acts had taken place.
· On the afternoon and evening of the same day, the woman sent several text messages to Mr. Liu Qiangdong’s assistant to ask for a meeting. These text messages are still friendly and polite, but they are becoming more and more threatening over time. At the request of the woman, she met with Mr. Liu Qiangdong's assistant. After the negotiations failed, she asked to meet with Mr. Liu Qiangdong. Mr. Liu Qiangdong agreed to meet with the woman at the location chosen by the woman —— Carlson School of Business. He was arrested by the police shortly after he arrived at the school building. Mr. Liu Qiangdong did not see the woman in the building of the Carlson School of Business, but he saw a man appearing to be filming the police arrest process. This video was later provided to the media.
· Mr. Liu Qiangdong has cooperated with all investigations conducted by law enforcement agencies. After about 16 hours, he was released unconditionally. Soon after, Mr. Liu Qiangdong went home.
· When Mr. Liu Qiangdong was still in custody, the woman took the initiative to ask Mr. Liu Qiangdong’s lawyer to call her. After Mr. Liu Qiangdong was released, I called the woman at the request of the woman. The woman repeatedly asked for money in several calls and text messages, and threatened to disclose the matter and sue Mr. Liu Qiangdong if her request was not met. Mr. Liu Qiangdong resolutely refused to negotiate with him. Shortly thereafter, the woman hired a civil lawyer in the field of personal injury and repeatedly distributed a large amount of false information through the media during the investigation.
· Mr. Liu Qiangdong broke the routine during the investigation and took the initiative to accept the interview request of the Minneapolis police because he did not have any concealment. The matter between him and the woman is entirely voluntary. When the relevant evidence is published, everyone will clearly see that the prosecutor made the right decision. Mr. Liu Qiangdong did not commit any crimes.
Mr. Liu Qiangdong did not have it in the past and will not agree to the woman’s request for money settlement in the future. Before that, all the rumors about giving money to the Internet were rumors.
Liu Qiangdong said: First, tell the truth to the wife, feel self-blame and regret
On December 22nd, after the prosecutor's office of the Hennessine County of Minneapolis announced that he would not sue Liu Qiangdong, Liu Qiangdong also issued a public statement on the network platform. Liu Qiangdong said that the final result proves that no law has been violated from beginning to end.
Liu Qiangdong said that he should work harder to work, make the company develop better, and let Jingdong employees live a better life.
Latest developments in the event
The following is the full text of Liu Qiangdong’s statement:
In recent months, my work in the United States has received widespread attention. In order not to interfere with judicial justice, in the process of independent investigation by the US police and prosecutors, although some people mislead misleading information, I am unable to defend myself, and I have not responded to relevant comments and reports on the Internet social platform and the media. This brings a lot of trouble to my friends who care about me. I’m sorry to say it first!
Today, after a thorough investigation of my full cooperation, the Hennepin County Prosecutor's Office in Minneapolis announced that it would not file any charges against me. This result proves that I have not violated any laws from beginning to end.
But in any case, my behavior on the day of the incident caused great harm to my family, especially my wife. For this reason, I feel very self-blame and regret. I have admitted to the facts to her for the first time. I hope she can accept my most sincere apology. I will do my utmost to make up for the trauma of the family and regain her husband’s responsibility.
In this tormented day, I am especially grateful to every colleague of Jingdong who is working under pressure from public opinion every day. I urge everyone not to blame and discuss them because of my affairs. They are just a group of ordinary young people who work hard. Now, the only thing I can do for them is to work harder into the work, and work with them to make the company develop better and let them live a better life. Only in this way is my best account for them!
thank you all!
Liu Qiangdong case background:
Since the end of August, nearly four months have elapsed, but the heat of Liu Qiangdong's case has not been reduced. The media has also disclosed more details of the case, which has caused the incident to continue to ferment.
On August 31, a Chinese female student accused Liu Qiangdong of raped him after a collective dinner, and Liu Qiangdong denied the matter. After that, the relevant US departments have been considering whether to continue prosecution.
It is alleged that the female student accused of Liu Qiangdong has a very good family and is a very talented pianist. At the time of the incident, the girl was only 21 years old.
According to the Wall Street Journal, from a recording of the dialogue between the victim and the police, she experienced four hours of torture in her off-campus apartment. During the period, she struggled to refuse Liu Qiangdong's physical contact until Liu Qiangdong finally overwhelmed it on the bed.
“He took off my underwear directly. ” The girl told the police in the recording, "And then he raped me." & rdquo; The girl said that Liu Qiangdong & ldquo; entered the body, and shot the semen on the bed and the girl's stomach. Afterwards, the girls retained the sheets with Liu Qiangdong semen as evidence.
When Liu Qiangdong stayed in the girls' apartment, the girl sent a text message to a male friend. After the boy reported the police, the police arrived at about 3 in the morning and asked Liu Qiangdong to talk with the female student.
After that, Liu Qiangdong insisted that he was not guilty by acting as a lawyer. He was detained for about 17 hours and then released. A few hours later, he flew back to China.
According to a person familiar with the matter, if Liu Qiangdong is sued, the relevant department expects that he will admit that he has had sexual relations with the student, but he is wishful thinking. Liu Qiangdong has returned to China, and there is no extradition treaty between China and the United States.
Jingdong's share price has fallen 60% from the beginning of this year. The market value has fallen from more than 70 billion US dollars to more than 28 billion US dollars today. This stock price level is similar to the price when it was just listed in 2014, and Liu Qiangdong himself is worth less than one-third of Ma Yun and Ma Huateng.